Thursday, February 15, 2018

Tools to talk to kids about tragedy

The school tragedy in Florida makes most of my week’s activities seem trivial. I know what I do and what I talk about will be important, but it pales when considering the events in Florida.

Today, I want to be in my school district, walking the halls, reassuring teachers, saying hello to students, calming parents.

Doing that would calm me.

But more must be done. Our students need us - the adults - to help them process the news. However, we - the adults - have a hard time processing tragedies like this as well.

Here are two resources that might help.



We need to do more. Pass legislation. Reform existing laws. Support mental health initiatives. But those actions can wait for another day.

Today and tomorrow, and in the days to come, let’s make sure we can help our children talk about and reflect upon another day of terrible news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment